Do you want to help people who are experiencing homelessness? Give your time and skills to Emmaus Hull & East Riding and get involved as an Outreach Support volunteer. We are looking for dedicated individuals who can support our Outreach work and assist people who are sleeping rough.
Volunteers contribute alongside our Outreach workers and companions to engage and assist people in the Hull and East Riding area, providing support and signposting to appropriate agencies. This involves checking the safety and wellbeing of people sleeping rough, acting on information given by third parties, multi-agency working and publicising events.
- Engage with rough sleepers in and around the Hull & East Riding area (supporting staff and Companions – we do not operate as lone workers)
- Obtain information and assist rough sleepers, signposting to appropriate agencies
- Risk management
- Support the team by positively promoting the Outreach service.
Skills and experience needed
- Willingness to engage and build positive relationships
- Walk long distances when necessary
- An open minded and non-judgemental approach
- Reliability and punctuality
- Awareness and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Experience of working with vulnerable people.
At Emmaus Hull & East Riding we recognise and value the time, dedication, skills and knowledge that our volunteers contribute. During your time volunteering with us we expect you to;
- Treat others with dignity and respect
- Uphold the reputation and values of Emmaus Hull & East Riding
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with all staff, volunteers and companions at all times
- Contribute towards our teamwork ethic.
Our Outreach service operates between 7am and 10pm Mon – Thurs and between 7am and 3pm during the weekend across several shifts (maximum 8 hour shifts). We would ideally like a minimum time commitment of one shift a week, but we are flexible to meet the availability of the individual. We do ask for your reliability and commitment to a shift to ensure no lone working amongst the team.
Hull and East Riding Area
Support and benefits
- You will receive a full induction and relevant training
- Direct support from the Volunteer Coordinator throughout your volunteer role
- The opportunity to get involved with other volunteer roles and fundraising events
- We will look to provide further training to maximise your skills and experience in this area
- Reimburse travel expenses.
How to apply
To find out more or apply for this role please complete the Volunteer Application Form or call Rosie on 01482 223722 ext. 7 or email email@example.com for any further information.